The Heart of Cape Town Museum celebrates the team who pioneerd the first heart transplant. Our museum is situated inside the Groote Schuur Hospital where the first heart transplant took place. From the intensive care unit where Denise Darvall was treated, to the two theatres where the transplant took place, we show you the behind the scene moments of this miracles day.
Contact us today to book your tour through the Heart Of Cape Town Museum.
- We are open 5 days a week- Monday to Friday
- We run 4 guided tours per day at 09h00, 11h00, and 13h00. The last tour is at 15h00, and is available by prior booking only.
- Duration of each tour is approximately 1.5 / 2 hours
Entrance fees for the museum:
- International Adults – R400
- International Pensioners – R350
- International Students (must have student cards) – R250
- International Children* – R100
- South African Adults – R190
- South African Pensioners – R140
- South African Students (must have student cards) – R90
- South African Children* – R60
* We do not recommend children under 10 years attend the tour. It is quite graphic and tiring
- We accept cash payments and cards (Visa/MasterCard)
- We do not, however, accept American Express or Diners Club cards
- Payments may be made in advance via EFT and proof of payment needs to be emailed to us
- Please bring your cameras as we allow photos to be taken in the museum.
- Cell-phones, Mobile phones may be switched on for photos but please make sure your phone is on silent.
Parking / Directions:
- There is visitor parking available directly outside our museum (Entrance 3, Old Main Building, Groote Schuur Hospital).
- Our GPS co-ordinates are: GPS: 33 56’28.24“S – 18 27’41.75 “E
- If you are catching a taxi to the museum, please ask the driver to take you to the Groote Schuur Hospital (not the Christian Barnard museum as the taxi drivers tend to take you to the incorrect venue as we have a “Chris Barnard Memorial Hospital” in the city centre.)